Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Two weeks

It started out with two years, now it's down to two weeks. He left before Claire was even conceived and now he'll get to meet his almost 15 mo. old niece. For him the return home is conflicting, bittersweet I'm sure. I've never served a mission but I assume that his life and identity right now is as a missionary. Now he has to go back home and and transition his current self into that former world. 

He works hard, and has his personal bar set very high. He has immersed himself in this selfless work - asking that our emails to him avoid "Can't wait to see you! Miss you! Wish you were here!" That's a sign to me that he feels what he is doing right now is the most important thing in the world and with time waning, he can't waste a minute feeling distracted or homesick. 

I am grateful for his selfless service and growth. There are very few opportunities in the world where impulsive young men can develop such discipline, personal refinement and practice such selfless service for two whole years while developing a deep love for a people and culture. I am grateful David chose to use this time in his life to touch souls and affect the eternities.

David has come a long way from the terrorizing little brother he once was  - trying to survive his bossy, easily-reactive big sister :) I'm so grateful this strong young man is my brother and since he's not reading this I have to say- I can't wait to see him!!!!!!!!!!!!






1 comment:

  1. So sweet. My brother gets home in 5 months and will get to meet Max for the first time. So excited. Hooray for missionaries.

    ReplyDelete