Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Me and Nie/Special Birthday


Not too long after I had the baby, I started reading the blog the NieNie Dialogues. The author is Stephanie Nielson of Provo. You may have even seen this beautiful Mormon Message about her. Well, reading her blog was like reading a book I couldn't put down. I re-wound in time back to her and her husband's tragic plane accident in 2008 and read going forward. For hours over a span of a week and sometimes late into the night I read, finding comfort in her hope-filled messages during her times of extreme physical and emotional pain, smiling at the cute pictures and stories of her four adorable kids, sighing at her love story with Mr. Nielson, and gaining motivation to live life with more faith in God, more beauty, creativity, and more expression of my womanhood and motherhood. Well, after reading her triumphant story, I fantasized about meeting her - running into her at Target or the mall. She felt like a character in a book, but she was real and living only miles away from me! I got my wish last night. I attended the premier of a student-made film about a 12 year-old burn survivor (read about him here) which she promoted on her blog. She mentioned she'd be in attendance and so I made sure to go meet her and her husband Christian afterwards. I told her about our family's eery similarities (which I talk about here). They smiled, laughed, we chatted for a sec and she gave me a hug. She is spunky, fun and such a sweet person. It's easy to feel kinda dorky meeting someone you admire in real-life, but she was extremely kind. I'm so excited I didn't let this opportunity pass by. Love you Nie Nie!

_______________________________________________________________

Before I go, I need to mention the most important event of the day: the birthday of a special someone.

Who is...
beautiful
spunky
loving and forgiving
creative
loves learning and teaching
likes organization and beautiful things
is an amazing preschool teacher
loves playing tennis
was born in SLC on April 6, 1965?

If you haven't guessed yet, Pamela Denise Johnson Raleigh - my mom!

I always loved having a cute, young mom. Growing up kids would always tell me, "your mom is so pretty!" I thought it was cool to tell people she graduated high school in 1983 - which at least to me doesn't seem like that long ago! Beyond the exterior, my mom has constantly served her family. She has cooked innumerable family meals to foster precious family moments, instilled in me a love of learning by reading to me from a young age (I still remember her reading Alice in Wonderland and other classics to me in first grade), and supported and encouraged me when life was difficult. During some especially tumultuous middle school years she sensed my need and started reading the Book of Mormon with me every morning. That began my understanding of the crucial nature of the scriptures in our life and I've read the Book of Mormon over and over again since that time. She was quick to forgive and give hugs which communicated a very special motherly love. She's spent countless hours sewing Halloween costumes, a prom dress, and other special things. Her 20+ scrapbooks of our family have preserved a history which is priceless. She is intelligent and has a very special spirit and spiritual sensitivity which blesses her family. It's been fun to see her raise my amazing brothers and sisters and I've learned so much that I want to implement with my own family. I love you so much mom!!!!


3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing, Stephanie! An inspiring message to start the day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow how neat Stephanie! Nie Nie is amazing! I love reading her blog too. And...your Mom is a pretty special lady herself! Happy late Birthday momma Raleigh! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a jewel in my crown. I felt a particularly strong sense of gratitude for my children on my birthday. So much of what you touch has turned to gold. I often think of you as the girl with the golden touch. love you. Oh ya, and AWESOME picture-I'm so happy you got to meet them.

    ReplyDelete