Thursday, September 5, 2013

Aspen Grove and other Utah Details

I was getting nostalgic for Utah's cool summer evenings. The memories I have of running through cool, soft grass and eating watermelon in the refreshing Utah summer night are hard to recreate in the valley of AZ, so I was getting anxious for some family time up north. We took advantage of Christian's week break to travel, but first, my sister Kathryn made her first flight (that she can really remember) to spend a week with us and then drive back up to Utah after the week was over. My sister Kathryn (who graduated HS last spring and just started Snow College) is amazing in so many different ways and Claire and Clark had so much fun with Aunt Kippy. Not to mention, she entertained Claire most of the whole 11 hr drive to UT - easiest drive (for me) ever!

Once in Utah we spent lots of time on our alma mater's campus at BYU's Education Week. Christian's mom and brother Samuel was there for the week as well so we spent time with them and Richard. I loved spending so many days on that familiar campus. I love BYU muchisimo. I am totally going to be one of those those ladies in my tennis shoes and skirt, pulling a roller backpack in my senior years as I come back again and again. For someone who loves learning - that week for me is heaven.

I also am slightly obsessed with family history right now and so I got three hours to spend in the family history library in SLC, searcing over some fascinating endowment house records of my ancestors. They definitely rubbed shoulders with early prominent leaders of our church. Can't wait to meet Eliza Snow, Brigham, Joseph, etc. and break the ice with - I'm Alonzo Raleigh's or BF Johnson's gr-gr-gr-grandaughter!

Another highlight was a day at Aspen Grove with most of my family. My brother David is a counselor there this year and so we got a good deal and a great host :)


Aspen Grove's pioneer night:



Watermelon eating contest!


If you look closely, that is a knife in the air




Learning skills from her tennis (or in this case badminton)-playing grandma. I admire my mom for pursuing her athletic passion amid her busy life. You are awesome mom!

Creeping on Mitt Romney (or his twin, can't really tell)

                                 Playing Legoes with Uncle Dan (and his sweet action hair)

Uncle David! Love you!




 Stuart Falls:







 Time with Christian's sister Laura and her kids at their beautiful new renovated home in SLC!



Thanks to everyone who made our Utah trip so fun! Love you all!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you had a good time with both families. I love the picture of Claire on the slide. But the winning photo goes to Christian in the watermelon eating contest. Hahahah, I can't stop laughing--the pictures make it look like he's competing against a bunch of little kids and he's super intense! Hahah. Anyways, Stuart falls looks nice. You all look nice.

    ReplyDelete