Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Grandpa Furse

 

My grandpa was funny, he loved to laugh and tease. His exuberant, wheezy laugh will forever live on and still rings in my ears. The family videos he took over the years capture his teasing phrases from behind the camera to family members like ,"you little twerp/retard/spaz" (said with a rascally love like only grandpa could). I knew he loved us and as I grew I treasured the affection he showed my grandma too. In his later years he was very affectionate and would kiss me on the cheek and told me he loved me. "You're a sweetheart, you know that?" He told me recently after I had shared that I wanted to learn more about his family history. 
He married my divorced grandma as a recently divorced man himself, taking on her six children and later had one son together. In marrying my grandma he bravely became a father to six children who desperately needed one and has affected generations for good. He served God diligently, setting an example to his children. Thirty-something grandchildren and as many great grandchildren call him grandfather. Thank you grandpa for your life and sacrifices and love. I have felt you near me and know you always will be aware of me and all of your family still in mortality. I find hope in knowing that you will be anxiously engaged in our well-being. I find joy in your reunion with so many of your loved ones and your daughters beyond the veil. So, my heart is filled with sadness for your departure but gratitude for a full life well-lived and for the legacy you leave along with the promise we will be together again.
Grandpa had at least a year to know his kidneys and heart were failing. It allowed him to prepare and he was ready and at peace after he made the decision to go off of dialysis. (See picture above. It was a sweet and very spiritual moment for him and my parents who supported him in that meeting with the doctor).
My heart hurts for my grandma who has to wait on the Lord's timing until she can join her loved ones on the other side. She asked my grandpa if she could go with him (when he died) and when he said he didn't know if that's how it worked she replied, "could you at least ask when you get there?" :)


No comments:

Post a Comment